The Camp Swift Range Complex munitions response site (MRS) is located in the northern portion of Bastrop County, approximately 36 miles east of Austin, Texas, in Bastrop County. The Camp Swift Range Complex is bordered to the north by the Federal Highway 290, to the east by State Highway 21, and to the west by State Highway 95. Surrounding communities include Bastrop, which is located 3 miles to the south; Elgin, which is located to the northwest; and Paige, which is situated to the east. The Camp Swift Range Complex has been designated as a Formerly Used Defense Site (FUDS) and is currently part of a munitions response (MR) investigation called a Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study or RI/FS. Congress established the FUDS program in 1986 to clean up properties that were formerly owned, leased, possessed or used by the Army, Navy, Air Force, or other Department of Defense (DoD) agencies. The RI/FS is designed to collect data to determine the nature and extent of munitions and explosives of concern (MEC) and munitions constituents (MC) that may be present and use that information to determine the appropriate response.
The United States Government acquired more than 52,000 acres of land near Bastrop, Texas in 1942 for use as a military training facility. The U.S. Army activated the camp in July 1942, and through the course of the Second World War trained and processed thousands of infantry recruits for overseas duty. Training facilities at Camp Swift included two artillery ranges, an ammunition storage area, a gas training area, a booby trap area, and a demolition area. Munitions historically used included rockets, grenades, artillery rounds, mortars, small arms munitions, mines, simulators, and dynamite. In 1947 the War Department declared Camp Swift surplus government property and prepared for the disposal of the greater portion of the post. Within the next few years the army sold most of the original acreage to public and private owners. With the remobilization of forces during the Korean War, the U.S. Army in 1952 withdrew approximately 16,000 acres of Camp Swift from surplus status for possible future use, with a portion transferred to the Texas Army National Guard (TARNG) for training purposes. The Camp Swift Range Complex MRS, consists of approximately 29,280 acres of the original 52,191.26 acres acquired by the U.S. Government in 1942. The property consists of a range complex comprised of overlapping small arms ranges, grenade courts, mortar range, artillery impact areas, training maneuver areas, and a demolition area that were historically located at the property. munitions response site (MRS). Presently, TARNG operates on approximately 11,700 acres of Former Camp Swift. The TARNG acreage is not included in the RI/FS activities.